When your copy is written, your essay finished, or your website full of content, what you need now is the services of a copy-editor to make your words shine and sing. We’ll work with you to craft your words into a polished and finished product. We’ll burnish away the rough edges and buff your prose into the style and shape that you tell us you want. Most of all, we’ll ensure you keep your unique voice. We’ll be your partners, your supporters, and we’ll be cheering you on all the way.
A personalised editing service
There’s no doubt about it, good writing requires effort. Whether you’ve spent hours writing a press release, weeks designing a new website, or years writing a book, the resulting product is valuable. It’s so easy at this point to rush over the final housekeeping, just to get it out there into the world, or even just to be rid of this task that has zapped your time and energy. This is exactly where an author can endanger a whole project: sloppy sentences imply laziness; inaccuracies damage your credibility; and lack of editorial polish looks careless. But don’t worry, Eloquence Editorial can help.
We won’t drown out your natural voice; we will work with you to get the exact kind of sparkle and polish you want.
How we might edit your work
- Checking for spelling mistakes and grammatical errors
- Identifying sentences that appear ‘awkward’ and improving them
- Ensuring that the language is appropriate for the audience
- Checking that everything makes sense
- Checking the document for flow and consistency
- Removing ambiguity from sentences
- Adding or removing words for clarity
- Adding words or rearranging words to increase their impact, in line with your natural voice
- Suggesting points where we feel further information or elaboration would be useful
- Removal of redundant words, sentences and paragraphs so that every sentence in your piece adds something significant
- Organising your references into an accepted house style, or an internationally recognised format
- And much, much more!
Eloquence will only make or suggest changes that add real value to your work. However, we understand that ultimately the work is yours and you may not agree with everything we suggest. Of course, you are free to accept or reject any changes as you wish. We use Microsoft Word to track changes and comments, leaving you with a clear record of all amendments and the ability to accept or reject each one individually.
Our light copy-editing service includes checking for errors and the application of widely accepted rules that are appropriate to your document. We will also suggest simple amendments to improve flow and consistency. It is a step up from proofreading, which only checks for errors, but is not as extensive as complex or substantive editing.
Complex / Substantive copy-editing
Complex or substantive editing is where we really get involved in the heart of your project. It involves more judgement on our part than light copy-editing, because we will consider the function and purpose of your work and how it might better meet your goals or business objectives. Sometimes known as development editing, this process involves a close partnership between editor and author.
Wherever you are
Eloquence welcomes new editorial clients regardless of geographic location and prides itself on its friendly and personalised service.